Dreamers Paradise

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Unplanned adventures in Cambodia: Day 1 & 2

Oh Sweet Beautiful Cambodia!!!
Even though our beginning was a little rough, after all who would want to leave Phuket Paradise, you more then made up for it in the end!
We started off flying in on an itt-bitty plane. While normally I love a thrill and a rush of adrenaline, this flight was something else. Being a little plane you really feel all the changes in the wind.

We finally landed at Siem Reap international airport, where we walked inside to distribute the pile of forms they gave to us on the plane to fill out. First off as you walk inside there is a metal-detector type machine you walk thru. Second glance and I realized it was a heat sensor, so if anyone was ill, the officials would know, luckily, despite the beautiful sunburn, I made it thru.  Visa desk, whew never seen anything like it. Behind this tall long desk are a bunch of officials, and they each have a job to do with the visa. The first person you pay $20 (or $22 if you don't have a passport size photograph with you), then proceed down to the end of the desk and wait for your passport. In the meantime while the officials are waiting for the passport to come their way, they keep things real by YouTube-ing it up! Something new.. Health forms, declaring your health, are just dropped in a basket on your way out.

We gathered our luggage, somehow Jamie's always comes out before mine... I don't understand. And head outside to wait for our pickup, courtesy of the hotel. It was great, I always fantasized about rickshaws and here I got a real one!! We hopped in and headed to our place, just a short 15 min away. Driving on our way it was a mix of a tourist town meets a small country town. There are many pizza shops(so random) tucked away in the side streets, and run by whole families.

After check in we both decided to get massages, for $10 they would come to your room and give an hour long massage. Not just any massage, this was nothing like the traditional American massage, and it was delightful. First off you stay fully clothed and just lay on the bed. Then these cute little girls take control of every limb and use their full body to massage as well. So wonderful. We finally came out of our stupor after they left and wondered down to dinner. We have a weird tradition of getting a margherita pizza at every city we stop in, but sadly they were out, tonight and next night as well, but they had our smoothies. So we would never think of complaining.
During the massage I felt a little off, but figured I just needed food since we hadn't really eaten all day. However once back in our room after dinner, my stomach rebelled. But not in a flu or food poising way, my mind was super alert and fine. Jamie laughed because I would leave in such a happy attitude to go puke. Between the both of us we came prepared to nurse a small contingency of helpless travelers. By morning, I was exhausted, so I spent the day sleeping and eventually went out to find Jamie by the pool. I was feeling well enough for some light food, so I asked if I could get some toast, they were so cute and a little confused, but they delivered, which is probably when I fell in love with Cambodia.
I spent the rest of the day by the pool, or sleeping, (mostly the latter). Jamie, bless her heart, was so sweet and just entertained herself, even though I know it drives her crazy to stay in so long. She did explore our street and watched the sunset for both of us. Ending the day with dinner downstairs, we made a new friend with one of the staff. He is quite hilarious, and very helpful. If I could pronounce his name, I would write it down. But I get lost on names after the first syllable. 
So here is to the unplanned adventures!



No comments:

Post a Comment