Dreamers Paradise

Monday, August 17, 2015

Traveling India's Himalayas, is it for you?


Darjheeling, India
















What can I say about this place, I love it. When I think of India, this is not the place I picture but has fast become one of my favorite places. After the heat and chaos of the city it was so nice to go up to Darjeeling and get away from the heat and chaos. The mountains have always had a way of healing my soul and rejuvenating me for another "round" in life.

After flying into the worlds smallest airport, Bagdogra we hitched a ride in a hummer up the step mountain road. *disclaimer if you get motion sickness or if you don't like "thrilling" rides than this trip is not for you. Distance wise it is quite close, as in 45km, but time wise it is a few hours away. The ride was quite the adventure with 12 people in a hummer up the step and winding road ascending deeper and deeper into the clouds.

Along the way our driver stopped to put a covering on all our luggage that was on top, we wondered down the road to see the beautiful lush forest, but before we went to far he warned us to watch for tigers and wild elephants!
Interesting side note, every hummer has a driver and an assistant, many of them ride standing on the back bumper! India is so different then America in more ways then one.

Once we reached Darjeeling (as an american you will pronounce this completely wrong, it is not a 3 syllable word, Dahr-jee-ling… it is more like one word slurred together. Dahrsheling.. it is a softer j… )
Anyways back on track once we reached our home for the week we were in love, it is chillier up there but such a welcome respite from Hyderabad. Up there everyone was a lot more relaxed and just went about their business. We had reserved 2 rooms for the 10 of us, but when we checked in they told us we had to pay an exhorbant amount extra for the extra people, but they wouldn't let us cancel either, finally after much back and forth the head manager (or the owner) came from off property and was amazing, he not only didn't charge us extra but he let us use a 3rd room as well. He cited that since we where helping his country he wanted to help us. (so nice of him, people are amazing!)

Everywhere in town is either uphill or downhill, and our rooms were up the stairs (it is all outside stairs and our place was like a villa I suppose, but each room had its own separate feel… but we did have roof access and that was amazing!
We went into town for some dinner and then headed to bed, the next morning I was wide awake thinking it was noon, but when I looked at my phone it was 6am! The sun rises early here, but it was so quaint to have a cup of lemon tea and enjoy the stillness of the morning.
Once everyone was up we stopped at a bakery and grabbed breakfast pastries to eat on the way to our explorations. We started off in search of the tibetan refugee camp, but ended up taking the back road to Observation Hill. As we walked up the hill we saw a monkey and got so excited, and then another, the top of the hill was shrouded in fog but we continued our walk upwards. Soon we started seeing lines of Tibetan prayer flags followed by more prayer flags and still more. The top of the hill is a place where buddhism flourishes and there are many shrines and temples. I found a quite area and just thought for a while, it was such a magical place, so quite and so
removed from the world. The monkeys would run and jump along the lines of prayer flags.



We eventually walked around the top and were able to talk to some buddhist monks about their life and they gave us a blessing and good luck. I noticed that as the monkeys would try and get close and into the temple all the guardians had to do was pick up a rock and they would scatter, they didn't even have to chuck the rock picking it up was enough. We all began to gather as we prepared to descend the hill and venture around some more.  1/2 the group was going down ahead, Anna & I stopped to wait for a few more stragglers to come down.  (did I ever mention that monkey are curious??)
As Anna and I were standing around a young monkey decided that it would be adventurous and climb my leg.. Not wanting and I'll affects I gently nudged the little guy away from my leg… apparently that was very upsetting, he jumped back 35 feet or so and screamed. All the adults in the vicinity took that very personal and came running with bared teeth at me. Umm yes this was terrifying, I went to back up and tripped on the ledge into a small ditch on the side. So not only do I have monkeys getting ready to end my life, I also happen to be trying to balance and not fall and thus render myself totally and completely helpless. One monkey made it and grabbed my leg and bit down hard (I had made a last minute decision to wear my denim jeans instead of my leggings that morning.. this may have saved my life.. Literarlly) As soon as he bit down I flung him off my leg (natural instinct) which only made them angrier. At this point I realize it is probably the end, I am backed against a wall, and if I turn and run they will be on me faster than an open flame can ignite a dry field.
As I am realizing this I pull my hands up to shield my face and take back mocking death by monkeys…at the same time my friends realized what was happening and my hopeless predicament and came charging swinging bags at these ferocious primates. I can not tell you the amount of relief I had at seeing them.  I tend to be a suffer in silence type, so I don't know if I ever even screamed. I was just so focused on the situation. Oh this whole encounter happened within the span of maybe 2 minutes and I was gifted with instant black-and-blue bruising from the encounter.  Later that night at dinner some of the girls were freaking out over the fact that I was attacked by monkeys and were surprised I was so calm about it. There was one other family in the restaurant with us.. As they got  up to leave they informed us that "next time we want to throw around racial slurs to be mindful of who was around". We were all in such shock. Luckily Matt and Hudson quickly got up and followed them out to explain that I really was attacked by monkeys and it had nothing to do with racial slurs.  Just for the record I never want to try for a better story than that.


































No comments:

Post a Comment