Dreamers Paradise

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

What is India like??? Part Adventures in Food

Ok so India is known for all it's spices, right?? And you would think being enthralled with India for so long I would have had Indian food in the states.
However truth be told, I had my first bite of Indian food about 2 months before I left, at a delicious place in American Fork, Utah.
Even then I had no trouble getting non-spicy food since English is the spoken language. I have heard many a time how spicy curry is, but that never registered with me, and now I am living in a furnace, both from the high temperatures and from a place that specializes in spicy food!! (How this slipped by me, I'll never know) 
So upon arrival I had my first shock & spice initiation at Golden Crown in Secunderbad, Telengana, India. 

Every dish set my mouth ablaze, similar to the intensity of a forest fire, no joke. So I dedicate this post to all you non-spice lovers. Especially my new roommate Averil, may the gods smile upon you. 

1. India has spicy food to rival any country
2. Hyderabad is know to be the spiciest city in India
3. When ordering food, point to what you want and say "no spice"
4. The waiter may reply not possible
5. At which point you ask what dish has no spice 
6. If your lucky they will guide you to a 'safe' option
7. Always order something to tone down the spice, Butter Naan is a favorite, Milk shakes are fairly effective as well. Rice won't be enough. Let me repeat, rice is not enough to cool down your mouth to the point where you can remember how to breathe
8. You may be tricked into believing 'no spice' means exactly that. WRONG!
No spice means as little spice as possible, i.e. I only want to use a garden hose to put out the fire and not call in the army reserves for emergency backup.
9. People will say "just try a little spicer each time to condition yourself." (I personally have found that a huge lie) Proceed at own risk.
10. When ordering non-spicy food, you will get looks, keep your chin up. 
11. If your at someones home, eat extremely slow as to prevent damage. One spicy bite at a time, left to cool will make the meal bearable. Do not try to eat it all quickly and get it over with. YOU WILL DIE
12. Become used to bland looking dishes. Bland colors=little spice, pretty colorful dishes=a death wish (except this one served on a mango leaf with fresh vegetables (veggies were a risky move))
13. Band together with your fellow non-spice eaters
14. When you ask how spicy a dish is, and your spice-eaters respond with a 3, know that it is often still to spicy!!
15. On the upside, India knows how to do dairy and carbs. Which happens to be most of my sustenance abroad.
16. Desserts are to be examined carefully as well. Most are safe, but every now and  then something pops up...

17. Best of luck, it's a crazed world out there! See you on the other side. Peace! 

No comments:

Post a Comment