Dreamers Paradise

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Half way there

It was a bitter sweet moment when I realized I am on the downhill portion of this adventure. Days have started blurring together, all my weekends are planned out and new projects have started.
When did days start going by so quickly, I swear I just got here!!

There are things I'm tired of and can't wait to have the American version once again. Like food, when you don't eat spicy food, you eat a lot of the same stuff, and even then it's a bit spicy. 
I love to be an adventurous eater, but that is a bit limiting here since the menu is just words on a page to me,  and I can't keep all the dishes straight. (Whether the bread is fried in oil or cooked like a tortilla, is just the beginning) 

The constant honking. It literally never stops. It slows down at night but it's still there.

My door to the outside that doesn't close all the way.

Not enough vegetables. ( but on the upside plenty of delicious fruit)

People jacking up the price because I'm white and a foreigner.

A shower that will be whatever temperature it decides to be. 

The power outages don't bother me, until it is so hot you can't function. Mostly we turn a couple flashlights on and do shadow puppets or dance party's. 
All in all I am so grateful to have so many opportunities in America and a good life.

However those "frustrating" things are just small droplets in a lake compared to how much I love India, and how gratefull I am for this experience. I will truly miss India. Mostly of the time when things go awry you laugh and move on, as there is little else to do. This summer has opened my eyes to a whole new category of blessings.

In India I found parts of me I didn't know were missing. The small children helped fill a crater in my heart, with how loving and grateful they are just to learn a new song.
The lady on the bus who taught me the gift of sharing, after teaching her a hand trick, she traded me one of her bangles.
All those who offer us a cool place to sit as we wait. The many, many people who showed me strength and hope as they did their best to make a better life while staying generous to those around.
I learned over and over again how well we can communicate the basics and the 'important' things just thru hand motions.
I have loved all the selfies we take (especially as cram into one vehicle clearly to small to fit us all)
The diversity in religion; Christian, Hindu, Muslim, and Buddhist are the dominate religions here.
love the chalk drawings that double as a lovely door mat and a blessing
l  love going into the slums and seeing family's running the store, and then their  curiosity in the "white strangers"
 I love the colors that surround me between saree's and fruit carts
Having 9 "in house doctors' (aka the team) deciding how to treat illnesses, wounds and encounters, to prevent seeing a questionable doctor


Most of all I will miss the heart of these people. Here's to halfway!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment