Dreamers Paradise

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Taj Mahal, another World Wonder down, 4 to go…

A dream come true, I have wanted to go to the Taj Mahal ever since I can remember. I don't remember a time when I didn't want to go to India. Call me crazy but I love this country. We arrived very early in the morning on the overnight bus, the bus had flat beds but no A/C so we kept the windows open all night. There is nothing quite like the lullaby of traffic and honking.

Once we arrived in Agra we walked down the road and found a hotel that would let us store our luggage with them and also let us use their bathroom to freshen up. No amount of freshening up can take away our time on the bus. Finally it came time for the Taj Mahal to open, we entered from the western gates and it was a beautiful site to see. The sunrise was just ending so the sky still had colors of purple and pink, with it being the low tourist season and given the early hour we were able to experience it with very few people around. We got pictures with just us & the Taj Mahal.
Sometimes early mornings pay off

Once we got to the end of the pools we removed our shoes or as they call them in India we removed our "slippers" and walked up to and thru this monument. What people don't tell you is that there are 2 beautiful buildings to either side of the Taj Mahal as well. *Note if you have a foot/germ phobia then the platform of the Taj Mahal is defiantly not for you.* After we spent quite a bit of time soaking in the beauty we determined it was time for food. The place we stored our luggage had a rooftop restaurant with good food and a great view of the Taj Mahal.

We didn't have much time to explore Agra, but from the bit we did see it seemed the Taj Mahal is pretty much it for this small town in India. The only place we saw souvenirs was in the market as we left the Taj Mahal.
We left soon after taking a taxi to Delhi, I am pretty sure everyone slept the whole way there ( I know I did)

** to note the Taj Mahal is closed every Friday and is open from sunrise to sunset.**
Looking back at the gate to the Taj Mahal



This nice older guy came up as I was taking selfies
and asked if I wanted a photo with the Taj in my eye.
I think he has done this before.. But it is a cool idea

No comments:

Post a Comment