Dreamers Paradise

Monday, August 25, 2014

Can't always sleep before a new adventure

I remember the days well. My first flight ever and we were going to Disney world! I was in 2nd grade and everything was magical. 
I remember mom staying up into the wee hours of the morning to finish packing. I recall dresses and clothes hanging on doorknobs ready to be oh so carefully placed into the suitcase to prevent wrinkles. 
As morning approaches I get giddier and giddier. Finally we take our ride to the airport, parking at a 'park n fly' type place and from there we hope abord a shuttle to the new and unknown.
Everything was dark at this point. This was back in the days of more relaxed security. When loved ones could meet you at the gate. 
I remember standing at the airport window and watching the sunrise and thinking this place was so magical. It has been that way ever since, early morning flights are secretly my favorite. When traveling alone I like to time my departure so I can watch the sunrise at the airport, slowly lighting the horizon. Starting with the Tarmac slowly beginning to glisten, followed by a sheen of light on the planes and the reflection off the control tower windows. Soon you start to hear the world come alive as breakfast begins to cook. The smell of coffee and pastry's fills the air, while people start moving about, shops are opening and workers are lifting their grates. Before you realize it, the sun has fully risen, burning off that early morning mist that comes with the dawn. When I think of a happy childhood memory it starts like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment